Thank you for your interest in a career with the Loran Scholars Foundation. Loran is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, particularly from Indigenous and other historically marginalized communities; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you require accommodation in the interview process, please communicate that if contacted. The current openings are:
Community Engagement & Communications Coordinator
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
(Full-Time Contract – Permanent)
We are a national charity, working in partnership with Canadian universities and hundreds of donors and volunteers across the country to offer Canada’s top undergraduate award recognizing character, service and leadership potential. We challenge Loran Scholars and alumni to be socially responsible, entrepreneurial and community-focused leaders who will positively impact society.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and enthusiastic early-career communications professional to make a national impact as part of a small team working with partners across Canada. This position works closely with and reports to the Manager, Community Engagement and Communications.
Location: Remote from anywhere in Canada, with some travel to Toronto and other destinations within Canada, for up to a week at a time.”
WHO ARE YOU?
You are an enthusiastic and creative self-starter who is passionate about connecting young people with transformational leadership experiences and engaging a community that supports and celebrates their growth. You are engaged in your community and giving back is important to you. We’re looking for someone who has a passion for building online communities using compelling storytelling; connecting a national network of scholars, alumni, and supporters through shared experiences; and amplifying the impact of Loran’s work through new and innovative strategies and tactics. You have an exceptional talent for developing engaging copy, stories, and other creative elements that connect on a human level. You are meticulous, love to tell an engaging story, and have an advanced understanding of: creative design and the design process, social media best practices, and newsletters as a community engagement tool. You are dedicated to continuous improvement and are always exploring the latest tools and trends to creatively share your message and build community.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As Community Engagement and Communications Coordinator, you will be part of a small team responsible for the overall outreach and communications function of the Loran Scholars Foundation. In your role you will lead social media engagement, newsletters, and graphic design. You will help us connect with the Loran community (donors, current scholars, alumni, educators, prospective applicants, mentors, and volunteers) and help us tell our story to the broader world.
You will support the execution and delivery of all aspects of our multi-channel outreach and communications strategy, including:
- Developing high-quality, comprehensive communication and outreach materials, including website and email content, and impact stories
- Developing, writing, designing aligned social media campaigns and a social content calendar for all stakeholders across all social channels
- Leading the execution of community newsletters and other mass-email communications as needed, including list management.
- Ensuring consistent brand look, feel and voice across all channels for all external-facing communications.
- Cultivating, engaging, and stewarding the Loran online community in a timely and relevant manner by tracking, sharing and highlighting scholar, alumni, and partner success, and developing ideas for strategically-aligned, community-building campaigns and story-telling opportunities.
- Supporting Loran’s media relations efforts, strengthening strategic relationships with journalists, securing media features, and proactively seeking thought-leadership opportunities for alumni, senior staff, and key volunteers.
- Providing creative design and copywriting input for the Foundation’s Annual Report.
- Maintaining a digital asset database.
- Developing and tracking success metrics for social media.
- Creating visually engaging presentations to support the work of other Loran departments.
- Working with translators to create communication outputs for French audiences.
- Managing all aspects of Loran’s WordPress Website including keeping content up-to-date and sourcing new content.
- Other tasks as required.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED?
- 1-3 years of experience in the communications field, with a focus on creative design, social media content planning and creation, and brand voice.
- Post-secondary degree specializing in communications, public relations, marketing, or a comparable discipline, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Excellent understanding of and best strategies for all social media channels.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, in a variety of formats.
- Experience working with an in-house creative team, agencies, and/or freelancers.
- A keen eye and passion for visual design and impeccable attention to detail.
- Competence with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and Mailchimp, and the ability to pick up new technology quickly.
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects under tight timelines.
- Strong project management skills.
- A high level of enthusiasm for youth leadership development.
- A passion for tailoring communications to unique stakeholder groups.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work independently in a remote position, as well as with teams through virtual connectivity.
WHAT’S NICE TO HAVE?
- Experience in the non-profit sector.
- Familiarity with Hootsuite, Asana, and Salesforce platforms.
- Preference may be given to candidates with advanced French language skills.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- The ability to make a positive difference in the lives of young Canadians by connecting them to a life-changing leadership enrichment opportunity.
- The chance to cultivate a vibrant, diverse, and engaging community committed to the values of character, service and leadership.
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, inclusive, and high-performing team.
- Fun and challenging work that you can do remotely from anywhere in Canada.
- Continuous learning and professional development.
Salary: $50K to $55K per year, commensurate with experience
Vacation: three-weeks paid vacation per year, plus a two-week office closure in December
RRSP and extended health benefits plans
How to Apply
Please forward your résumé and cover letter in one Word or PDF file to Lily Manea, Director of Operations, at email@example.com by 9:00am Eastern Time, Monday, December 11, 2023.
The Loran Scholars Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, particularly from Indigenous and other historically marginalized communities; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you require accommodation in the interview process, please communicate that if contacted.