Loran builds meaningful, positive change across Canada and beyond by empowering young people with curiosity, integrity, and the dedication to uplift their communities.
We believe that identifying such promising young people means looking beyond grades to find students with character—those who show courage by pushing boundaries and challenging the status quo; display a commitment to service that improves the lives of others; and demonstrate intrinsic leadership potential.
The Scholar Experience
Being a Loran Scholar is more than receiving an undergraduate award—it’s belonging to a community that will empower you on a journey of growth and a lifelong pursuit of purpose.
- Skill and capacity building
- Experiential learning through work placements across the public policy, enterprise, and community development sectors
- Immersive learning in different parts of Canada and abroad
- One-on-one mentorship from a business or community leader
- Scholar gatherings and community-building programming
- A diverse network of supportive scholar and alumni peers
- Lifelong membership in a community of values-driven individuals
- An annual stipend of $11,000
- A tuition waiver of up to $11,000 annually, tenable at one of our partner universities
- Up to $14,000 for the Summer Experiential Learning Program
“I was dissatisfied with the systems in place and pursued an active role in student advocacy during my first year of undergrad. Loran inspires me to be the change I want to see and to take initiative.”
Sofie Fournier (’22)
“The most important thing I learned through Loran is never to stop learning! My passion is to share with the world the experiences of racialized peoples in Canada so that we can make physical activity opportunities more accessible and inclusive.”
Dr. Janelle Joseph (’97)
“As a Loran board member, interviewer, and business leader who has hired alumni of the program, I am continually inspired and energized by the incredible talent, ambition, and dedication I see in Loran Scholars.”
Charles Achampong, Vice President, International Partnerships, Mitacs
“The Loran Scholars Foundation is crucial for Canada. It allows our best students to study here in Canada during their undergraduate years while providing them with the opportunities they need to grow and develop as leaders.”